Wednesday, January 21, 2009

現實 Reality Check, City of Managua Nicaragua Oct 15 2009

I stayed three months in Managua, capital city of Nicaragua leading a project for couple of manufacturing sites in the industrialized zone.
I had a wonderful memory of those times I worked so hard and those beautiful landscape of the volcanic country. Also I had a good memory of making new friends in there, Luigi, Judy and other Nicaraguans for project team.

I tried best restaurants in the city with colleagues, buyers, project team members and sometimes alone while staying one of the best hotels in the city. I've been accompanied by my friend, Italian Nicaraguan, for the national singing festival and met with government people, i.e., president of Nicaragua and other ministers.. And I'd been relaxing in a huge resort in the beach side which have been built & operated by European group.

So it seems that Nicaragua for me is sitting as kind of paradise over my empirical set of memories. But when I uncover the layers of memory once again, the other image of Nicaragua emerges..

What I witnessed is quite too far from the image of paradise as an independent nation..

Now they are too much dependent on foreign aids because of lack of national capital. Actually the rich people who has been experiencing civil war never want to invest their money for their unstable motherland. The main road has been built by the money from Japan. Their commuter buses are mostly from US, i.e. used school bus with long nose. Nearly all big commercial facilities has been built and maintained by foreign money. It seemed that there is no national capital other than beautiful natural resources. They've just been providing human resouces with most competitive labor rate in the world, cheapest.
Actually my expectation level was high when I asked factory management team to hire best people of university graduate for project members. And they hired and provided me six graduates from the best university in Nicaragua. (to-be-continued)


No comments: